Tuesday 21 September 2010

Spuds and Instructions

Rule No. 1: When you give your chilldren a job, make sure that you give VERY CLEAR instructions.


Today we acquired 25 kg of potatoes from the local market.   So, with a certain amount of anticipation I decided that we would have baked spuds with our veggie stew tonight instead of the rice I had originally planned.  However, I needed to get some of the shopping put away and fold the washing.  What is more, Jeremy (8 1/2 nicknamed Jem)  was at a bit of a loose end.  So,  I had an inspired moment

Me:  "Jem can you wash the potatoes for me?"

Jeremy:  "Yes Mummy what do I do?"

Me:  "You need a bowl of water, use this brush and you scrub them clean."

Some time later...

I glance over to the sink and feel a moment of disquiet. Surely that wasn't in the sink a moment ago?

Pointing to a bowl and sinkful  of soapy water and some very clean potatoes, I ask in a slightly panicked tone, "Don't tell me you've washed them in there?" 

His little face crumples and he bursts into tears,  "I didn't know..."

I laugh, what else can I do?  Bless him, he had even got a clean tea towel out of the cupboard to dry them!
 
I gave him a kiss to dry his tears and sent him off to play with his little brother:  the driveway is now a world ruled by pirates.

These little things are the pleasures that make up daily life and make fabulous memories.  This I will treasure.  I have the cleanest potatoes in Surrey, I have had a good laugh and I am reminded again that my children are a gift from the Lord:  I am so blessed.
 
By the way, we are having rice tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment